SqueakOS

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Dec 26 14:32:59 UTC 1998

Jerry Bell wrote:
> I've found some references to 'bare-metal' Squeak
> implementations.  Is anyone working on this?

Squeakers -

There was recently a discussion on comp.lang.forth on a bootable Forth
demo ("BootFORTH demo") recently released for FreeBSD. There has been
interest in the past for doing this for Squeak, although still no
working demo I know of (other than Squeak for DOS, which might in theory
boot from a floppy (size?), but still requires a non-free OS).

I would imagine the big issue isn't getting something to boot -- it is
having a knowledge base for interacting with the variety of graphics
cards, ethernet cards, modems, SCSI adapters, HD drives, etc.

Here are two links from the Forth discussion:

http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
This page contains information on developing FreeBSD to work in various
small and unusual places, such as single floppy, vnode (vn(4))
partitions or embedded controllers. Includes image for single floppy
bootable Forth version.

http://www.moore160.freeserve.co.uk/dmjx.htm
David Moore's Joshua 32 bit x86 RT/Operating System

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com