Generic Bridges

Bill Felton bfelton at ibm.net
Wed Dec 9 22:18:34 UTC 1998

Well, this may be a dumb response ;->
But shouldn't it be possible, at least with a bit of care,
to do so already?  After all, a class is an object, class
definition is a message send to another object, which will
ultimately be one in the receiving image...
I'd think you'd need some sort of handler to detect:
class name existence
class "shape" [ideally behavioral as well as structural]
and a clean renaming (or other name-space) convention to
	handle cases where 1 passes and 2 fails...

Comments, anyone?  Am I missing something?

Bill

At 01:19 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>     This may be a dumb question but I would like to know what it would
>     take to add the capability to not only pass objects and messages
>     between Smalltalk images but be able to pass them to images which do
>     not contain the class definitions for those objects. Basically, it
>     seems to me that it would be nice to be able to do the following:
>
>     1. Pass a class definition to an image.
>     2. Send that image instances of the class or ask it to instantiate
>     some and initialize them.
>     3. Do something with the class and instances.
>     4. Remove the class definition and instances from the image.
>
>     I would like to be able to avoid the necessity of having the class
>     definitions permanently in all of the images of a distrubuted system.
>     If this can already be done, I would love to know how.
>
>     Jerome
>
>     jegarcia at adventurousmind.com

>> objects in smalltalk?
>>
>> It seems those techniques could also allow calling into specific squeak
>> objects from outside squeak.
>
>I've done it several times for various dialects of Smalltalk. It's pretty
>trivial to write a simple socket-based protocol for passing objects and
messages
>between Smalltalk images, or between Smalltalk and C/C++. The solutions can
>range from a very lightweight packet protocol to full-blown mini-ORBs.
Squeak's