Smalltalk and CORBA

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 10 04:56:48 UTC 1998

Stephen Pope <stp at create.ucsb.edu> writes:

> (3) Is a bit complicated. The public domain TGen package is rather
> tightly bound to the VisualWorks Smalltalk compiler, which is
> diferent in many respects from Squeak's. I believe that getting a
> port of TGen is the next important step to getting a CORBA ORB
> ported.

Not really.  It is tied to the VisualWorks GUI framework.
However, it has been ported to VisualAge and VSE, so it
can't be that hard to port.  Most of it is the parser generator,
not the environment for managing grammars.

Perhaps you were confused with classes like AbstractParser and
AbstractScanner.  It might look like they are tied into the
standard compiler, but they aren't.

If anybody is porting it and needs advice, contact Don Roberts
(droberts at cs.uiuc.edu) who has used it a lot recently.

-Ralph