Configuring a Dynabook (was: Off topic)

Bruce Cohen cohenb at gemstone.com
Fri Dec 11 21:20:55 UTC 1998

JENS at ejs.is wrote:
>> On the hardware side I see the Dynabook (with some extras) something
>> like the following:
>>
>> 	Touch screen (flat panel, 13" TFT color LCD)
>> 	minimum 1024x648 resolution
>> 	Wireless network interface
>> 	64MB (at least)
>> 	Remote boot (no hard disk)

I understand the desire to eliminate weight of a disk, but there are two
reasons why remote boot is (as presently implemented) undesirable:

    1) It takes time.  One of the great user advantages of PDAs, as
primitive as they are, over laptop computers or other portables, is that
startup time to being useful, at least in some generic fashion, is a
very small number of sessions.  If all I want to do is jot down notes,
or refresh my memory of something I did in my last session for a
conversation, I don't want to wait a minute or two for a boot.

    2) Long-term storage on a remote site is not always desirable as the
*only* alternative.  Some form of non-volatile local storage, larger
than the working store of the computer, is highly desirable.

>> 	Rugged (must be able to withstand shocks, like dropping)
>> 	Light weight (will be carried for extended periods)
>> 	Pentium processor (or similar)
>> 	Battery lifetime of at least 4 hours (swappable online)
>> 	Integrated phone
>> 	Infrared interface
>> 	Barcode reader

What do you want to use this for?

>> 	USB interface

Or Firewire or ethernet or ...  Frankly, I'd be satisfied with infrared
to talk to printers and such for now; for portable operation I much
prefer wireless connection to the common cable spaghetti.

"Writing a new object-oriented program sometimes feels a bit like
throwing a bunch of animals into a cage and watching what happens."
- Daniel Hillis in "The Pattern on the Stone"
Bruce Cohen,                               |  email: cohenb at gemstone.com
GemStone Systems, Inc.                     |  phone: (503)533-3602
20575 NW Von Neumann Drive                 |  fax:   (503)629-8556
Beaverton, OR USA 97006                    |  web:   http://www.gemstone.com