ANSI Exceptions Ready For Trial

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Wed Dec 2 16:22:47 UTC 1998

I've finished sorting out the problems I had with my ANSI Exceptions
implementation.  It works as far as I can tell and runs my test code.  I
think it's a good bet that it's not entirely correct, so I'm asking if
anyone would like to try it out.  I'd like to see someone who has some
knowledge or experience try it before I post it for general use.  I'd like
to know if it is a useful starting point for a reasonably conforming
implementation of the ANSI proposed standard within the limits of the given
compiler.

It assumes an unaltered version Squeak2_0.zip (1998.07.16 10:01:02
3,227,382) on Windows 95.  A couple of non-conforming areas are:

	ScaledDecimal behavior is not implemented.
	Squeak doesn't allow the literal #'string' to specify a symbol.

Anyone one who would like to give it a test run, send me an email off the
list and I'll send back the zipped file.  It's 45K so let me know if this is
a problem for your mail space.  The code I'd send will include a SIF
reader/writer, and the Fundamental, Valuable, and  Exception protocols, and
an installation script.  It is minimally commented at this point, but does
have at least one piece of test code for each ANSI message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy