string sharing (possible bug?)

Bill Felton bfelton at ibm.net
Wed Dec 9 15:44:52 UTC 1998

It does seem a bit peculiar, doesn't it?  But it all
boils down to how literals are handled.  The source of
your difficulty is that Squeak treats 'hello' as a string
literal with 2 occurences in your code fragment, thus both
a and b point to the same object.
You derive the correct, or nearly correct, Smalltalk
programming principle from your results.  (BTW, this result
leads to such other oddities as IBM's VisualAge treating
literals as read-only objects.  This works, of course, but
leads to other peculiar behavior, such as forbidding your
third expression.)
Note that the problem is not so much constants as it is literals;
for safety's sake, you might want to consider sending #copy to
literal strings -- this works in all Smalltalks, including VA
(oddly, a copy of a literal is not that literal, but a new
object, and mutable).

Bill