Squeak and Prime Time Coverage

Dan Shafer dan at gui.com
Thu Dec 31 06:34:28 UTC 1998

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> At 11:19 PM -0800 12/22/98, Dan Shafer wrote:
> >I mentioned Squeak almost in passing on my "Project Heresy" radio show
> >at CNET Radio a few weeks ago and was literally inundated with requests
> >for followup information. I positioned Squeak as a viable
> >platform-independent development language with a graphical interface
> >that had the promise of making Linux more viable as a deplooyment platform.
>
> I've been surprised that most of the mainstream discussion of Squeak has
> focussed on the small-image/low-level-kernel aspects.  There's been little
> mention of the wonderful IDE, all the great media support, etc.

I agree. My primary focus at CNET Builder.com is on the Web/net-related
stuff but I really appreciate the even higher-level stuff you mention.
Morphic is just awesome.

> >I've talked with the Squeak team once or twice about doing a column  or
> >a feature about Squeak and the Web/Internet but they feel -- and I agree
> >-- that we're not yet ready for prime time attention. But I have to tell
> >you, the itch gets stronger all the time.
>
> What is the sense for when things will be ready for prime time? What is
> needed first?  I'm working on a book using Squeak, as I know that others
> are too.  I'd appreciate the advice of those who are more knowledgeable
> about such things than I -- is it too early to do a Squeak book?

I don't know. Ted and Dan and others are the ones who get to call that
shot. I just don't want to write a column about the coolness and
_potential_ of Squeak until we as a community are ready for the influx
of interest such a column -- and its pickup by others -- could generate.
We don't want people to show up, take a look, fail to get it, and go
away grumbling.

As soon as the Squeak team say they think we're ready, I'm ready.