Mailing List(s)

Billy Turchin billy at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:44:40 UTC 1998

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> http://c2.com:8080/

	Yes, but I was referring to a Q&A site for discussions.
A place where someone can place a question or comment and others
can respond.  This would help avoid the large amount of mail
coming from the mailing list because people could glance over the
web site and read discussions that interest them, respond to them, or do
nothing at all.  If people chose to use this site as a discussion
medium then the amount of email sent would be greatly reduced and
we would not have to deal with huge Inboxes full of mail that we don't
always care about or have the time to read.
	Using a Swiki would allow people to search for discussions
on a particular topic, or from a particular person, etc.  These are
advantages not available with email discussions.  With email if you
don't save a message then you either can't refer to it again, or you
try to find it at:
http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/,
but with a Swiki you wouldn't have to worry about deleting it in
the first place or storing it on your hard drive.
  The web site can have a hierarchy of topics for discussions. This
would make it easy to find discussions on a particular subject, rather
then searching through a long list.  There could be sections for
Announcements, Beginners, Morphic.....etc.
 I see numerous possibilties for such a site and I think it would
benefit
everyone from beginners to advanced developers.

> >Is there a Swiki site for Squeak discussions available?  I don't
> >believe there is.  Perhaps someone could host one.

 - Billy