Linux does squawk!

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Tue Feb 17 08:15:30 UTC 1998

> With polling, you can still get practically optimal behavior, *if* you
> choose the polling interval well--it's one more knob to tune.

This is directly determinable from sample rate and buffer size.  Even in
the threaded code, you must have this information or an assurance of a
non-blocking write to /dev/audio short of KERNEL threads.  My feeling is
short of a truly uniform thread model across all architectures, you're
tying this very strongly to a single OS and architecture.  (Does your
model work with SunOS?)  I've had more than a couple of comments that
portability is a key issue here.

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108