Newbie Question Re: Prototypes

jecel at lsi.usp.br jecel at lsi.usp.br
Thu Feb 26 16:31:20 UTC 1998

John Maloney wrote:
> You can check http://self.sunlabs.com/ but I wasn't able to access
> it just now so it may have been taken down. Postscript versions of many
> of the Self papers can be found there.

There is a mirror at:

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/oocsb/self/index.html

A great starting point for prototypes is:

http://www.physik3.gwdg.de/~rainer/comp/lang/object-based.html

Specially interesting are the links to ultimardrev (an
implementation of Self 1.0 in Smalltalk) and prototalk
(a kit for creating your own prototype based
languages). Unfortunately, I think it wouldn't be
trivial to translate these from ParcPlace Smalltalk 4.0
to Squeak. There seems to be a problem with these links,
however, so if there is interest I could set up a copy
at my site.

As for Self, "Its not really dead, Jim... not as long
as we remember it."

-- Jecel
P.S.: for some reason, no mail I send to this list via
the my ISP's smpt relay ever makes it (and I get no
error messages either), so I am sending this by telnetting
directly to c.cs.uiuc.edu (don't try this at home, kids!)