Linux does squawk!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 17 22:48:27 UTC 1998

Christopher Oliver writes:
 > > By the way, SunOS doesn't support OSS anyway.
 >
 > That's precisely right.  You've not set portability as any sort of
 > target.
 >
 > If you wish to be flip with me, then please take it to private mail.
 > I'm just asking a fair chance, and that means I complete and present
 > my work aside yours.  Best man wins and all that rot.

Of course, of course.  My version has a definate portability
limitation: it only works at all on systems that have OSS, and it only
records on systems that additionally have a decent pthreads
implementation.  If you or anyone can get around these portability
limitations, then I sincerely applaud you, and would not want at all
to heist my inferior version on the world.

All I meant with the above statement is the following: SunOS doesn't
have an OSS interface, and Linux doesn't have a SunOS audio interface.
So if you support both SunOS and Linux, you either have to have
different code for each version anyway, or you have to use another
system/library than OSS.

Incidentally, if you are going to write separate code for SunOS
anyway, I think you may as well go whole-hog and make use of the
built-in async IO primitives SunOS offers.  I presume it would work on
Solaris, too.  It's a shame that such features aren't more generally
available in Unix systems.

Lex