Microsoft shopping for Java alternative

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Sun Feb 15 19:48:58 UTC 1998

rapp at lmr.com (L. M. Rappaport) wrote:
> I envision a Smalltalk where you could select a "user level".  For
> beginners, it would show you some bare minimum of standard classes -
> for example, the collection hierarchy might contain OrderedCollection,
> SortedCollection, Array, and Set.  As the user became more familiar
> with the library, he would raise his "user level" and more classes
> would be exposed.

I agree that a major problem in Smalltalk is that it's big and the
dependences are not clear. There's no easy way of pulling out the stuff
you don't need/want or starting from a next to clean slate. IMO, This is
because classes are globals and globals are evil.

Of course there are pure object languages where you can isolate namespaces
within the system...

Steve