Jittery Acorns

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Mon Feb 23 18:05:43 UTC 1998

On Mon 23 Feb, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> How big are your i/d caches?  The jitter has lower locality than the
> bytecoded VM (for the moment, at least).
IIRC, the StrongARM has 16kb I & D caches, something like 32 way set
associative. It could certainly be a major part of the problem if the
code locality is low. In fact I guess I have so me evidence for that,
since I tried a run with a VM compiled with the CCs c.s.e turned off
and got a tiny increase in performance. This implies to me that the
pc is jumping all over the place and the cache is not really getting
to play the game.
It's certainly a bit different to a 1Mb cache and big secondary
caches; but then it's aimed at rather different markets than a PII!
And it costs less than a PII socket...

tim

--
Death to all fanatics!