Cache and Squeak Performance

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Feb 13 20:37:47 UTC 1998

On Fri 13 Feb, Maloney wrote:

> The moral of the story is that Squeak is extremely hungry for
> memory cycles. If you have a machine without a second level cache,
> it will probably run Squeak faster if you add one. No guarantees,
> though; try it before laying out real cash for cache. :->

It's true. Since '87 I've (half jokingly) told people that there are
three important things for Smalltalk performance
1. Memory bandwidth.
2. Memory bandwidth.
3. Err, memory bandwidth.

Clever execution ideas usually work because they reduce the system's
absorption rate of this crucial resource.

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
research.