Learning Squeak Websites (Was Re: How do I create a subclass)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:31:15 UTC 1998

>I've successfully created my own classes in Squeak, but how do I
>create subclasses underneath them? Doesn't Squeak allow this? How does
>one go about it? Thanks.

When you're defining classes, you've probably always left the first word in
the class definition template as "Object".  Change that "Object" to your
superclass name, e.g., "MyClass".

----

"How do I create a subclass?" has been a common question in my class, and
there's a better answer on our "Tips on Squeak" page in our CoWeb (it's a
Swiki, but with a more pronounceable name :-)

We're about half-way through our quarter now, and the websites are starting
to have some useful information in them.  If folks looking for
How-To-Learn-Squeak are interested, you're welcome to wander around.  Our
main class website is at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/cs2390_98_winter/
(This is where assignments are posted, news, etc.)

The CoWeb is at http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu:8080/cs2390  The "Tips on
Squeak" page is pretty active with lots of questions (and answers!), and
there are scattered tips all over the place (like how to do a case
statement in Smalltalk).  The exciting thing for me is how the students are
taking over this space and making it their own -- e.g., the "Hot Topic
Pointer" on the Front Page was invented by a student, as was the
TeamFortress sign-up page and the real Sandbox in the Sandbox page, and
lately, questions about Squeak are as likely to be answered by another
student as by me.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu