Linux does squawk!

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Wed Feb 18 09:50:34 UTC 1998

Christopher,

> (Duh!  Whus a pthread?)  I'd like to rely on nothing beyond the
> relevant audio man pages and UNIX/Posix as desc- ribed in Stevens or
> Lewine.  I was a curious a bit about the license on PThreads, and I was
> genuinely surprised that being Berkeley, it probably would not further
> restrict things.

There is no "license" with pthreads, unless you're on a platform that
does not have a vendor-supplied pthreads interface over whatever threads
(Solaris, Mach, ...) are supported in the kernel.

I have written a lot of code using very different threads libraries with
pthreads interfaces, and this code almost always compiles and runs
*unmodified* (with no #ifdefs or other nasties) on all of the platforms
(Linux, Solaris and Digital Unix for example).  The fact that a pthreads
interface is not available on (e.g.) SunOS is not necessarily a problem:
SunOS has LWPs, and it's a trivial matter to write "stub functions" for
the (small) part of pthreads that Squeak sound would require in terms of
LWPs.

Regards,

Ian

PS: Just one small caveat: non-blocking I/O is broken when using LWPs.  (I
    have a working version of the nbio library, but I'm not sure if I'm
    allowed to make the soucre available. :-( )  But I doubt that this
    would be a problem, since the use of threads is really an alternative
    to a non-blocking approach.