BeOS [was: Image question...]

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Thu Feb 5 00:43:37 UTC 1998

> Really? Do you mean Code Warrior for BeOS does not already have some
> kind of library for porting console apps?

Unless my memory is failing badly (it's been many months since I booted
it), in my installation of BeOS the standard C library is all there.
printf() and friends work just as you'd expect.

(Of course, I could be talking utter nonsense -- I should really boot my
Mac into BeOS and check all these vague memories...)

> I wonder how Bash and all the GNU utilities are ported?

BeOS has a fairly POSIX-like C API.  Most terminal-based Unix programs
should compile with little or no modification.  Emacs, and many tens (if
not hundreds) of other "standard" Unix utilities, are all available for
it.  There is a project called "geek gadgets" that is attempting to port
vast amounts of the GNU software to BeOS.

The thing that is *really* different is the filesystem layout.

Someone has even ported the MIT X server to BeOS (little more than
mapping the framebuffer bits within a BeOS app window and then arranging
for the rendering into this window to adhere to the app framework, I
would imagine [but the "little details" almost certainly require "extreme
clevereness" to resolve efficiently]).  A very fast route to running
Squeak would be to use this server (but I would definitely consider that
"cheating" ;).

Ian