MIDI output scheduling (note-offs)

Stephen Travis Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 11 20:57:29 UTC 1998

Hi Craig et al,

> Welcome back! :)

Thanks, I almost thought I'd never make it. In the future,
I'll have much more time to devote to Squeak. (The recent change
involved me having to threaten to quit UCSB, though...)

> What's an example of a "synthesizer-specific event format"? Are you
> talking about system-exclusive messages?

My Yahama FB-01 allows note-on commands with duration and micro-tonal
tuning as a sysex, for example.

> I'm curious as to why you have a "length" parameter

It simply makes the primitive message-unpacking code simpler and
more robust.

> It doesn't seem dirty to me to have the lowest Smalltalk level scheduling
> note-offs for each note-on.

I just hate to a low-level output port creating new events and putting
them in the scheduler Q.

> Of course, you can save
> a byte on each note-off by expressing it as a note-on with velocity zero,
> and using the "running status" feature of MIDI (so each on/off pair uses
> five bytes instead of six). I assume you're already doing this.

At present, for simplicity, I use two separate messages and a "real" note-off
command.

stp
(Remote from Kansas)

_ Stephen Travis Pope
_ Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology (CREATE)
_ Dept. of Music, Univ. of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
_ stp at create.ucsb.edu,  http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp/