A suggestion for factoring the list

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Tue Feb 24 01:12:21 UTC 1998

> As was already suggested on this list, I think Squeak discussion
> should be moved to a moderated newsgroup.  Newsreaders are
> significantly better at managing a plethora of messages.

Writing as technical administrator at an ISP, let me whole-
heartedly reject this.  The mailing list, fragmented or not,
is reliable.  News feeds are far less so.  I.e. maybe your
clever note got archived on AltaVista or DejaNews.  Maybe it
dropped in the bit bucket.  At least with the mail, I know
where things are.  Further, with the spam problem, we lose
the ability to discuss without mangling our mail identities.
With the mailing list, I know the author and his interests,
so I know in general how to direct my replies.  In short,
USENET is no place for serious discussion.  (Maybe even
light hearted discussion there is a bad idea.)

Sincerely,

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108