A suggestion for factoring the list

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:24:11 UTC 1998

At 10:54 AM -0500 2/23/98, Sam Adams wrote:

>Squeakers,
>Given all the talk lately about the plethora of postings on the list, I
>thought

Maybe there'd be less of a plethora if we stopped talking about the plethora!

[snip]
>* squeak-announce remains for general announcements, especially new
>version/platform availability.
>*squeak-vm for all the VM implementers and their discussions
>*squeak-library for all the talk on fixing and enhancing base classes (float
>hash, equality vs identity, collections, et.al.)
>*squeak-apps for morphic, PWS, Siren,Draw80, etc.
>*squeak for general info and questions, how tos, newbie tutorials, etc.
>
>Better ideas?  Let's hear them!

[snip]

I don't think we should fracture the list. I scanned over the last few
weeks of traffic, and it didn't seem that bad. Some days a flood; other
days, a trickle. I don't think we should judge that there is a need for
more lists by the peaks.

A squeak-learn list makes sense becasue it's worth shielding newcomers from
disscussions requiring a fair bit of background knowledge whilst they get
their feet wet.

But an FAQ, or a mention of the Squeak wikiwiki site in the sign up message
would serve just as well, I suspect.

If one is *really* in to filtering down the messages one sees (and can't
seem to do it on the basis of their subjects ;), then I would suggest
prefixes before list splits, e.g., [VM], [LIB], [ANN], [APP], [LEARN], etc.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.