A suggestion for factoring the list

Jon M. DeLaurier jdelaurier at vanisle.net
Mon Feb 23 19:52:51 UTC 1998

Squeakers:

Bijan Parsia spoke:

 [snip]
>I don't think we should fracture the list. I scanned over the last few
>weeks of traffic, and it didn't seem that bad. Some days a flood; other
>days, a trickle. I don't think we should judge that there is a need for
>more lists by the peaks.

I have gotten more than 500 messages this month so far on this list
alone.
We all have lots of time to send and read messages!
>A squeak-learn list makes sense becasue it's worth shielding newcomers from
>disscussions requiring a fair bit of background knowledge whilst they get
>their feet wet.

If a separate list for newbies is created, then who will be the experts
on that
list to answer the questions, give advice and lots of encouragment?
Any volunteers?

>But an FAQ, or a mention of the Squeak wikiwiki site in the sign up message
>would serve just as well, I suspect.
>
>If one is *really* in to filtering down the messages one sees (and can't
>seem to do it on the basis of their subjects ;), then I would suggest
>prefixes before list splits, e.g., [VM], [LIB], [ANN], [APP], [LEARN], etc.
>
>Cheers,
>Bijan Parsia.

Such factoring is perfect for Smalltalk. But that would require a mailer
be included in squeak, in which such topics could be archived and recalled
by all those who, after they have gotten their feet wet, and are starting
drown, can peruse and learn more. My mailer certainly cannot do the filing
by categories, but perhaps there are some which can. I do not mean
filtering.

My preference would be to have one list, but the user have the capability
factor and archive the messages as he/she wishes. A good squeak
application.
I am too much of a newbie to do this.

Jon

| Jon M. DeLaurier       |  vox :  250.656.6176                         |
| 2209 Bradford Av       |                                              |
| Sidney, B.C. V8L2C8    |                                              |
| Canada                 | email:  jdelaurier at vanisle.net               |