On the security question...

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.co.traverse.com
Mon Jan 12 02:39:10 UTC 1998

On 12 Jan 1998 Tim Rowledge wrote:
> An old 'classic' tech support problem is caused by unwary users arranging
> for snapshots to be done by a background process... so the snapshot file
> has something almost, but not quite, entirely useless in it

Basically you get a backup between consistent states.  My concern is
more along the lines of dumping images that contain passwords and
session keys even though there are no explicit references to them.
Given that fullGC() is called prior to a snapshot, the unreferenced
objects should vanish unless the GC is conservative.  I should learn
to UTSL a touch more often before asking stupid things.

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Communications
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108