Case-insensitive selectors

Mark Wai mwai at ibm.net
Wed Jan 28 15:37:43 UTC 1998

At 07:31 AM 1/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I personally prefer case-sensitive languages to case-insensitive
>languages.  If I want to have selectors or procedures named abc, Abc,
>ABC, and aBc in a program I darn well expect the language to allow it
>and not try to limit what can be done.  I also *HATE* underscores and
>dashes in identifier, selector, or procedure names.  If I wanted to
>PROGRAM-IN-COBOL or PROGRAM_IN_PL_1 <gag!> I'd do so.  I don't.  Keep
>Smalltalk case-sensitive!!!!  :-)

If a define a class with two methods >>aBc and >>aBC, how can I tell the
differences between them
without going into the implementation?  For more hypothetical examples, how
about

>>asArrayofKeywords                      vs             >>asArrayOfKeywords

>>asBytesArrayEncoding:into:            vs
>>asBytesArrayEncoding:Into:

>>asUInt32                                      vs              >>asUint32

There are no standards or rules at all.  And people do make mistakes when
typing.

We use case sensitive method signature to help us to *read* the method more
easily.  It should not
change the *meaning* of a method.

Thanks.
--