Squeak 1.3 for Unix

Todd Coram tcoram at pobox.com
Sun Jan 18 17:06:11 UTC 1998

Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Unix Squeakers,
>
> The 1.3 version of Unix Squeak is now available at:
>
>     ftp://alix.inria.fr/pub/squeak/unix/Squeak-1.3

Hey Ian,

I downloaded a copy of your 1.3 port (compiled it) and it runs for me under
Linux.
However, I have been hacking Serial port support (through your user
primitive code in the goodies directory) under 1.23 and am having problems
generating a new (1.3) VM with your user primitive change set.  The interp.c
you ship doesn't seem to have the user primitive support functions (I can't
link my primitives against the current interpreter --- unresolved refs to
the functions declared in sqUserPrims.h).  So, I filed in the 1.23 user
primitive change set (from goodies) into the 1.3 Squeak and generated a new
interpreter with:

    Interpreter translate: 'interp.c' doInlines: true

I then recompile the VM with the new interp.c and my user primitives.  The
resulting executable dies on start up with a Segmentation Fault in the
BitBlit code.  I haven't tried to debug it yet... But....

Am I missing a step here? And, are you planning to compile and ship your 1.3
port with user primitive support?

--
Todd Coram (Maroc Ddot)
tcoram at BLaCKSMITH.com | tcoram at pobox.com