Squeak 1.3 for Windows (crash on image save)

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Sun Jan 18 13:01:29 UTC 1998

Paul (and all WinSqueakers),

> One problem: I am getting a VM crash any time I save an image (on a
> Compaq Deskpro 6000 180 Mhz running NT 4.0 SP 3 - Matrox Millenium
> Graphics Card). This happens with both the JIT and non-JIT images.

Can anybody confirm this? I've tried it on different machines with Win95,
WinNT 3.51 and WinNT 4 (sp3) and I didn't encounter this situation.
If this happens on your machine, please send me a description of your
hardware. I'm particular interested in the OS (95, NT3 or NT4 the language
version you use and the SPs (on Win95 the OSRel) installed).

> 		oop = 17873788
> 		oopsize = 481702544
>
> Those oop numbers seem suspiciously large - and result in a memory read
> error.

The oop pointer might still be ok (you can only check this by testing if
memory < oop < endOfMemory) but the oopsize is definitely to large.

> Maybe these crashes are related - if a full GC kicks in?

If this is the case, then I suspect that some object header is wrong.
It would explain why the VM crashes on save but I can save the "original"
1.3 image nevertheless.

Andreas

--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+