Smalltalk Design Question

Vassili Bykov vassili at objectpeople.com
Thu Jan 29 04:06:29 UTC 1998

"Alejandro F. Reimondo" <alereimondo at sugarweb.com> wrote:
> When I write text in a workspace, I am outside of any context, in the =
> ether.
> But when writing a method for anObject I am "the object" (the receiver) =
> and writes upon its point of view.

Actually, the code in a workspace is in the context of nil.  At the
time it is being evaluated it is a #DoIt method of UndefunedObject,
and #DoIt message has just been sent to nil.  Not that it has much
practical significance.  Except, perhaps, a trivia question "What will
happen if you evaluate 'self DoIt' in a workspace?"  So much for
being in ether...

Vassili Bykov        vassili at objectpeople.com
The Object People    http://www.objectpeople.com
+1(613)225-8812