Squeak 1.3 unusable

kc shesha at televar.com
Sat Jan 31 22:01:40 UTC 1998

Andreas Raab wrote:

> > > 5. Try the graphics/sound examples in the "Welcome to Squeak" Window.
> > >

> > They almost all fail :(  I don't get it. Very frustrating. I really love
> > Smalltalk and would like to get it all to work.
>
> What's happening if you try these? If you could give us some error
> messages from the examples we might be able to help. BTW, it has been
> mentioned before but you should execute "Text initTextConstants" on a raw
> 1.3 image. For some strange reason the TextConstants have been reset.
>
> Andreas
> --
> Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
> +===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+
> I Department of Simulation and Graphics      Phone: +49 391 671 8065  I
> I University of Magdeburg, Germany           Fax:   +49 391 671 1164  I
> +=============< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >=============+

hi,

	I just wanted to mention that, as far as sound problems for 1.30 on Win
95 (166 mhz MMX), I have found that the following makes things MUCH
nicer :-).

	I had to change the SoundPlayer SamplingRate to 11025 to get ANY sound
examples to work properly:

	initialize
	"SoundPlayer initialize"
	"Details: BufferMSecs represents a tradeoff between latency and
quality. If BufferMSecs is too low, the sound will not play smoothing,
especially during other activities. If it is too high, there will be an
overly long time lag between when a sound buffer is submitted to be
played and when that sound is actually heard. It is typically in the
range 50-200."
	"SoundPlayer initialize; shutDown; startUp"
	SamplingRate _ 11025.
	BufferMSecs _ 1000.
	Stereo _ true.

	The fresh download had the SamplingRate set at 22050: which allowed
MOST of the sound examples to play, but they were accompanied by an
annoying metronome like clicking - and the Morphic Book problem
mentioned elsewhere was glaring and it froze up Squeak.
	After changing the SamplingRate, ALL of the sound examples work fine on
my machine.

	Hope this helps.

Ken