ideas for Squeak projects

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Jan 20 12:06:31 UTC 1998

> - Native windowing support
>
> Although the Squeak windowing system is cool in itself and very adequate
> for most displaying needs, it would be fun if one could use it to
> write programs with a native look and feel. Is anyone up to the
> challenge? >:)

I've been investigating this. There are however, a number of steps to go
before you can use native windows such as:
* Removing references to Display and allow for multiple DisplayMediums
  to be the screen representation (in addition I would like to see an
  abstraction like Canvas handling the display stuff)
* Replacing PopupMenu and the notifiers
* Change event handling to redirect events to the appropriate windows
* ...

Morphic might be the easier way to go since a couple of things are already
there (i.e. Canvas and event handling) but there are other problems. In
general, you can place any morph on any place in its world. This, in turn,
would mean that if we are omitting the World (which is the Squeak window)
we need to place any morph directly on the screen. I'm not really sure how
to deal with that. Another approach could be allowing only SystemWindows
to be native windows and allow the free placement of morphs only in
certain panes (such as morph construction pane) which would be some sort
of SystemWindow itself.

If somebody wants to discuss the best way to go here, let me know.

Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+