Morphic + Distr.Comp. >>> @!&#Beans?

Matthijs van Kempen Matthijs.van.Kempen at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 21 03:20:35 UTC 1998

Hi Everyone,

I'm a beginner and  very much in love with
Smalltalk. I have several observations as a user of Squeak:

If we could develop a vast library of useful models, buttons etc.
that would be very easy to configure visually and behavorially, this
would give us @!&#Beans all over again.

But this time, they would be smaller, faster?, very portable and they
would provide a means of adding or changing  behavior in components. So we could
exchange programs in the form of small reusable components.

For instance, I could download several buttons, sliders and models
with a native lookand feel, use them in my Morphs or easily delete
them from my system. Or I could download a complete 'applet' and use
it.

I'm not sure how to relate this to the class hierarchy. It seems that
a construct like an interface would be necessary to handle the
interaction between the component and the base classes. (Bases classes
would not be BASE classes anymore, they would act as libraries which
can be dynamically loaded and unloaded. A core of undeletable classes
would still remain though.).

The pluggable web server goes a long way in this direction. It is
quite easy to setup and use. It's the fastest way to build a CGI
enabled web server ever. If it's interface were a little better, you
could fathom it being a component that would be usable for any user
even without Smalltalk knowledge....

Suppose you had a PWS and distributed clients for it...That
would be great for unloading the server. Besides with what Squeak
has, it could probably outrun JavaBeans.That could also be a great
way of adressing our own problems of managing code.

Think about it and if you don't like it, don't think about it.