ideas for Squeak projects

Craig Latta latta at interval.com
Tue Jan 20 23:30:21 UTC 1998

> Isn't there any code left from the Smallmusic project? I understood that
> there is something developed called "MODE"... could it be used in this
> project? I don't know if the licensing terms would permit that, but maybe
> you could find that out.

	The person to ask is Stephen Pope <stp at create.ucsb.edu>, the principle
author. He's been pretty busy lately, though. As far as I know, he's still
on this mailing list.

	I thought it was relatively easy to get the old MODE bits, but that seems
to no longer be true. There's a link on the CREATE home page
(http://www.create.ucsb.edu) for "Siren/MODE", to
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/htmls/siren.html, but that document isn't found
by the web server. There are scattered references on the Net (including on
STP's homepage at CREATE) to ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/st80/mode,
which points to ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Music, but the
CREATE FTP server won't let me log in anonymously, and I don't have an
account there. I have MODE somewhere, but I'm not terribly keen on hunting
for it, especially since it really wanted to live in ParcPlace Smalltalk
(version 4) the last time I saw it.

	It may be time to start from scratch (make that "start from Squeak"  :)...

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist