Three beginner's questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 30 14:56:26 UTC 1998

At 7:40 PM 1/29/98, Ward Cunningham wrote:
>> > 1) What is the easiest way to draw a graphical object (e.g., a line)?
>
>Phillippe -- Andreas offers some nicely general solutions to your
>question. I'd like to add that Smalltalk has always supported turtle
>graphics which is probably the EASIEST way to draw a line:
>
>        Pen new
>          turn: 30;
>          go: 100

I can get one level easier, if you're willing to interact with the code:

Line example

Click at the starting point, click at the ending point. POOF! A line!

This is the example that I use in class to shock students by drawing lines
across windows and scrollbars.  (This quarter, there was an audible "Cool!"
:-)

BTW, I just wrote a position paper for a CHI workshop on Learner Centered
Design where I talked about Squeak and being able to draw on your windows.
Comments welcome!
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/Commentary/userAsLearner.html

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu