various bugs in Windoze ScrollBar Junta

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 23 20:09:29 UTC 1998

Its sooooo wonderful to have users!
John,
All of these are problems that crop up when you try to encapsulate another
object entirely.
One way to fix it is to create a pass thru method of each possible method
understood by the encapsulated object.
The other way is the powerful but sometimes abused doesNotUnderstand: hack.
At OOPSLA'96, Kent Beck had a wonderful button with the caption:

Will hack doesNotUnderstand: for Food

I don't even need to be very hungry.  Here is a patch that should fix these
bugs.

----------------------------snip----------------------------
'From Squeak 1.3 of Jan 16, 1998 on 23 January 1998 at 2:57:09 pm'!

!SSAScrollBarView methodsFor: 'delegation' stamp: 'ssa 1/23/98 14:56'!
doesNotUnderstand: aMessage
 "Here it comes, the dreaded doesNotUnderstand:  HACK   ssa 1/23/98 14:55"

 ^self scrollingView perform: aMessage selector withArguments: aMessage
arguments! !

----------------------------snip----------------------------

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Sam

John Brant wrote:
<<
When using Sam's new scrollbars, I'm getting a notifier whenever I do a
spawn hierarchy. It appears that SSAScrollbarView doesn't implement the
special messages to turnoff the scrollbars in the category view (e.g.,
singleItemMode:).

If I comment out these special messages, accept it, and then try to restart
the method in the Jitter VM under NT, it crashes the VM with:
-------------
Current byte code: -1
Primitive index: 86
Stack dump follows:
-------------
The printout of the stack just has a bunch of empty lines. Restarting the
method doesn't crash the non-jitter version. This occurs whenever you
change any method and try to restart or proceed.

One last bug: if I try to step over the request:initialAnswer: message in
the debugger, I'll crash the VM (both Jitter and the standard one):
-------------
self halt.
FillInTheBlank request: 'Please type your initals: '
  initialAnswer: ''
Current byte code: 0
Primitive index: 86
Stack dump follows:

17996952 []
in BlockContext>newProcess

Sam S. Adams, Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research RTP
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>