Good work on Squeak for Windows CE!

Blair McGlashan blair at intuitive.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 07:49:21 UTC 1998

Kevin

On 21 January 1998 19:47, Kevin Driedger [SMTP:kdriedge at crosskeys.com]
wrote:

> Thanks for the good work on the CE port!  Now I have to get started
> trying to bring up some interesting windows and developing applications
> for it.

No problem - I had a personal interest in demonstrating that Smalltalk
could run on a handheld with 4Mb total storage (unlike some other languages
I could mention), so doing the port suited me fine ;-).

> How is the port to R1.3 going?  Is there anything that I can help you
> out with?

I'm sorry to say that it isn't...going that is. The excuse is complicated:
Due to the fact that the VC++ for CE cross compiler etc is not compatible
with VC++ 5.0 service pack 2, (which I need for other work since it fixes a
compiler bug which hits use of the C++ standard template library), AND the
arrival of CE2.0, I have had to uninstall the development tools for CE1.0.
I will need a window of at least two clear days to make it worthwhile going
through the pain of temporarily reinstalling the original version of VC++
5.0 and the CE add-on, and at the moment I'm afraid I don't have much time
to spare.

If you have the development tools yourself, then please feel free to try
bringing it forward to 1.3, though I doubt the JIT version will fit in a
1.0 machine. I notice that apart from being much faster, the new colour
CE2.0 machines (e.g. HP) have 16Mb, so I was intending on doing the JIT
version only for CE2.0 machines.

Otherwise the main area of concern is the manner in which the MVC browsers
sometimes get into confused states due to the lack of mouse-moves (this
needs to be repaired by delving into the controller hierarchy and fixing
the tests in the polling loops so that they don't rely on moves while the
mouse is up to terminate).

I hope you don't mind me CC'ing this to the Squeak list so that others know
the state of play.

Regards

Blair