Smalltalk Design Question

Alejandro F. Reimondo alereimondo at sugarweb.com
Wed Jan 28 17:54:27 UTC 1998

Hi!

Mark Wai; it is your name.
you write it as 'Mark Wai'
not 'MARK WAI'
nor 'mArk wai'
why?
If you think it is the same... consider to change YOUR Smalltalk...
Smalltalk evolve with every user. :-)
People write names always in the same manner (when they want to say the same).

why to work to have less?  (work to be case in-sensitive) :-)

I want to mention some points I consider when writing Smalltalk sentences.
When I write text in a workspace, I am outside of any context, in the ether.
But when writing a method for anObject I am "the object" (the receiver) and writes upon its point of view.
anObject can name a Global object, it is outside itself and this object must be named in loud voice (then I write it's name in upperCase).
If anObject needs a part of it. This part is immediate to it and can be named in lowercase. As the part is inside itself another object can't name it.
When an object must name itself or an object known universally (Universal Concept) it can name it in lowercase because this concepts are known anywhere (like self, nil, true, false, 1, 10, $a, ...)

And... what about message names?
When we write a sentence we begin with uppercase and then continue with lowercase upTo: $.  :-)
In the case of OOP the first word is the receiver's name and it casing is governed by the preceding rules...
Then is normal that all the remaining messages will be in lowercase.

Writing messages in UpperCase is like speaking in loud voice! :-)
And if you write messages like #ASUPPERCASE many people will be irritated. :^)

Hope this helps.
Ale.

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Feel free to visit Smalltalk User Group of Argentina (SUGAR)
at http://www.sugarWeb.com