Squeak 1.3 Solaris link problem

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Sat Jan 24 00:11:24 UTC 1998

Mike,

> It looks as if the solaris VM used to always hard-code the path to
>         libXext.so.0
> but the 1.3 VM's (both ordinary and JIT) now have to use the search
> path somewhere.

I don't know what changed (except maybe the build host at my end) -- all
the link options are the same as with 1.23.  I do, however, have a copy
of libXext.so.0 in /usr/lib, which is maybe getting screwed into the
binary.

Does it still fail if you recompile the Solaris version on your machine?

One workaround is to manually screw /usr/openwin/lib into the binary's
list of dirs to search at runtime.  In GNUmakefile.conf change

    LIBDIRS=      -L/usr/openwin/lib
    LIBDIRS=      -R/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib

in the sparc-solaris section.

If this turns out to be a common problem with the precompiled binary then
I'll recompile my copy with the above flag and/or with openwin earlier on
my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  (I've _never_ managed to make Solaris "behave"
w.r.t. dynamic linking 100% of the time unless I explicitly set

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

in my .profile).

Hope something in the above helps...  Regards,

Ian