PositionableStream>>isEmpty

Benoit St-Jean lamneth at aei.ca
Fri Jul 10 11:14:09 UTC 1998

At 13:11 98-07-09 -0400, you wrote:
>'From Squeak 2.1 of June 30, 1998 on 9 July 1998 at 1:05:33 pm'!
>
>!PositionableStream methodsFor: 'testing'!
>isEmpty
>	"Answer whether the receiver's contents has no elements."
>
>	^position = 0! !
>
>Wouldn't it be better as
>
>	^readLimit = 0

Smalltalk-80 says so (Should answer whether the receiver's contents
has no elements) but in all Smalltalk, #isEmpty returns
true if the stream is at the beginning.  As Pugh and Lalonde
once said, #isEmpty should have been called #atBeginning
Benoit St-Jean                           Creative Technologies International
871-8585 #234                           1440 Ste-Catherine ouest, Bureau 400
email : lamneth at aei.ca                    Montreal, Quebec, Canada,  H3C 3R7

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do not
reflect the official views of CTI