a Squeak web browser

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon Jul 27 23:59:43 UTC 1998

Lex,

Great start! Some thoughts for the future:

1. Enabling mailto: url's. The current version of my email client =
supports the following:

(Smalltalk includesKey: #EmailWindow) ifTrue: [
	(Smalltalk at: #EmailWindow) beginNewMessageTo: 'joe at abc.com'
].

This, or something more user-configurable, would be an easy addition. I =
have added support to the email client to invoke Scamper for the =
display of links found in email.

2. Performance - I think there are still some gaps. I have found that =
getting to the squeak swiki at Ga Tech sometimes is very slow even =
though it seems that the data comes across the modem in a reasonable =
time. I tried raising the priority of the Process doing the download to =
#highIOPriority and that helped a lot until it failed to get the data =
and got stuck in a "data was slow" loop. I am going to (for my own =
edification) to try to understand the process scheduling mechanism and =
perhaps that will shed some light on the matter.

3. Addition of more html types - while I understand, and in large =
measure agree with, your bias towards text types, more will be needed =
to make this a replacement for a regular browser. Images come to mind =
immediately (though a user option in the matter would be nice). A =
reasonable benchmark might be a site like www.apple.com which looks =
nice and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles - Scamper renders it =
a bit too minimally.

I'll let you know more as I spend more time with it.

Cheers,
Bob