Smalltalk-76

David N. Smith dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Mon Jul 13 14:43:15 UTC 1998

At 23:05 -0400 6/26/98, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
>Dan Ingalls wrote:
>(snip)
>
>Since I can't seem to find a copy of that book through my libary, I'd be
>_real_ happy if you could post that info...
>
>Please?
>
>Willam
>
>> The implementation of blocks was pretty much the same as ST-80, but I
>>fixed a couple of problems in ST-80.  If you can get hold of it, there's
>>a chapter in the "Green Book" (Smalltalk-80:  Bits of History, Words of
>>Advice) that I wrote with a summary of what changed in each generation
>>from ST-72-74-76-78-80.
>>
>>         - Dan

I just read this thread, so sorry to jump in so late.

The Green Book is often available from Powell's in Portland. THey carry new
and used technical books.

   http://www.powells.portland.or.us/

If you don't have a copy you should; it's full of neat papers on the
'early' years of -80.

There is also a quite long paper in the second History of Programming
Languages book from Addison-Wesley on the history of Smalltalk by Alan Kay.
It has examples of -72 as well. This book should still be in print. (1995?)

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY