Leads for database application development

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Wed Jul 1 17:20:44 UTC 1998

     Mark,

     Bob Adler, Chris Earnest, and I were involved at Claris (Apple) in
     development of a set of classes in C++ to provide distributed
     heterogeneous database access.

     Bob designed a set of database provider classes which abstracted
     access to various sources which could range from delimited flat files
     to the various relational databases.

     Chris designed a set of classes which could optimize distributed
     heterogeneous requests.

     I designed a set of classes to represent the distributed data
     dictionary and database requests. The database request classes were
     based on but not limited to the ANSI SQL 92 standard. All database
     request classes were subclasses of an expression class whose super
     class was a tree node class.

     This was all part of a fairly ambitious effort at Claris. I left
     shortly after proof of concept and initial testing of those parts
     involving Bob, Chris, and I so that I could do Smalltalk development
     at Penergy. What can I say? I wanted to do Smalltalk :-)

     The parts which Bob and I did worked extremely well and were very easy
     to extend. I would like to see a similar direction taken in Squeak. I
     have thought about about doing this myself but have not been able to
     find the time. Also, I do not have any experience in access of object
     oriented databases so I can not say whether it is useful to include
     them when considering the problem.

     If you would like additional info, send me some e-mail.

     Jerome E. Garica, Adventurous Mind
     jegarcia at adventurousmind.com