Morph Must Die!!! (a bug report)

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Jun 16 10:31:49 UTC 1998

Tim, Travis, Alan,

> Instead of reimplementing the manual release protocol, should we look
> into implementing WeakReferences so that the GC can automatically clean
> up dependants when all "strong" references have disappeared?

That's already been done ;-) The updated version is at

http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/dev/Finalization/2.0

The approach adds a new kind of subclass (e.g., a "weakSubclass:") to the
system. A weak subclass has *strong* fixed and *weak* indexable fields.
That's not a bug - it's a feature. So you can easily have WeakArrays (see
the WeakCollection change set) but also a number of strongly referencing
inst vars.

Bye,
  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+