squeak hogs memory on linux?

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Jun 10 17:17:55 UTC 1998

On Wed 10 Jun, Greg Lewin wrote:

> At a vague guess this could be a garbage collection problem.
> Unfortunately I never have long enough to investigate before the system
> becomes unusable due to either of the above causes. - at most a minute
> or two.
It seems unlikely  to me, since the Object Memory is alloc'd right at the start of execution and there is no facility for expanding it on the fly; not that it would be difficult to do.  Garbage collection only operates within the bounds o
f object memory and is probably not involved here.
Perhaps more likely is the small collection of places where some memory is grabbed for a socket structure, or a buffer for showDisplay and so on. It seems especially odd since there have been no similar sounding problems reported for othe
r unices and the code is pretty much identical.

tim

--
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 856-7230 (w)
 tim at sumeru.stanford.edu (h)  <http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim>