Cheese 5 Available !

Boris G. Chr. Shingarov usib6tfj at pol.ru
Wed Jun 10 04:53:18 UTC 1998

Hi Squeakers,

I'm happy to announce that Cheese 5 Alpha is released (I've put it on
Create), and that it finally looks like Cheese :-))).
Here is the README from the zip:

WELCOME TO CHEESE 5

CHEESE is a complete Smalltalk environment derived from Squeak
Smalltalk.
Unlike  Squeak  (which  treats the display as a two-dimensional array of
pixels), Cheese is based completely on native widgets on those operating
systems which support them.  This release of Cheese is early Alpha code;
it has only the very minimal functionality - only that absolutely needed
to  further develop Cheese in itself.   In fact, not only Networking and
Sound  are  still  missing,  but even the whole Debugger and other vital
components of the development environment  (But those parts that do work
are stable enough to develop Cheese in itself :-) ).

WHAT PLATFORMS DOES IT RUN ON

Currently, only on IBM OS/2.  Unlike preview releases like Cheese4, it's
complete in the sense you don't have to launch Squeak through X and then
try to open PM windows;  all BitBlt stuff has been completely removed.

Work is in progress to port Cheese to Windows and Motif;  I hope it will
not require much effort but  I'm very busy right now (switching to a new
job) so I can't promise about schedule.

HOW TO INSTALL IT

Just  download & unzip  it into a directory on a drive supporting long
filenames; also, place a copy of SqueakV1.sources from Squeak into the
same directory.  Then, to start Cheese, just start cheese.exe.
Note:   This is completely self-containing.  You just need PM running;
it's not necessary that you have EMX, or an X server, installed.

WHAT TO START WITH

Because Cheese 5 is in early Alpha stage, it has a lot of functionality
missing.  For a minimum idea, look at the browsers: from the Transcript
pop-up menu  (right double click),  select 'browse...'.   Also, try out
evaluating/inspecting code in a Workspace.

HOW TO REBUILD THE VM

Currently, the Cheese VM can be compiled by GCC or by IBM C (Set or VA).

Step 1.  Generate the Interpreter: select 'do...' from the Transcript
menu; evaluate the line,

     Interpreter translate: 'interp.c' doInlining: true.

Exit Cheese, move the generated interpreter to the 'src' directory, and
proceed with compiling the VM (step 2).

Step 2.  Compile the generated VM:  just type

     make -f Makefile.emx

for gcc, or

     nmake -f Makefile.i2

for IBM C Set++ or IBM VisualAge C++.
As the result, you will have a new cheese.exe.

Best regards,
Boris Shingarov