squeak hogs memory on linux?

Ian Piumarta piumarta at prof.inria.fr
Thu Jun 11 11:27:14 UTC 1998

> Ian Piumarta used 2.1.24 for his linux port. I guess he had some
> reason for it.

It's an extremely stable version of 2.1, particularly on PowerPC.  Having
installed it on my Mac, it made sense to install it on my Intel laptop too.
(FWIW, the 2.1.1xx kernels are also becoming very stable, with PPC support
integrated into the main sources: it may soon be time to upgrade to the
cutting edge.)  2.1.24 also supports the clone-based linuxthreads, and the
QNX-style real-time scheduler extensions -- which are both important to me
for obscure reasons...

Squeak doesn't leak memory.  Apart from kernel bugs, the only other thing
that I would suspect is the X server.  It may be fixed now, but X used to
have trouble freeing server resources.

Ian