More care with <PRE> & </PRE> please

Michael Irish T.M.N.Irish at herts.ac.uk
Mon Jun 15 16:39:23 UTC 1998

I have been gradually going through this archive.
Every now and then I have come across a message which the browser
allows to go off the right hand edge and I have to use a horizontal
scroll bar.

On Friday, I investigated.  I think the problem is that people are
using <PRE> & </PRE> inappropriately.  As I understand it, those
two tags are for pre-formatted text such as assembler code.  If you
type ordinary text between them, the browsers assume that you actually
want long lines.  I rather doubt that you do.

Two examples that I came across on Friday and Saturday are

http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/msg00032.html

and msg00117.html

Michael Irish.