Joe the Box Squeaks

Alan C. Kay alank at wdi.disney.com
Tue Mar 31 22:43:38 UTC 1998

Thanks Mark --

Actually "Joe the Box" was invented by Adele Goldberg (c.f. my "Early History of Smalltalk" in SIGPLAN '93 and HOPL II book '85) in the early seventies as a way to teach Smalltalk-72 to 12 year olds (and younger). "Joe the box" was a brilliant solution to how to start programming -- it was certaibly the oldest good Smalltalk curriculum -- and I'm really glad to see it back!

The predictions were actually done in the late sixties (FLEX machine, and then the Dynabook) as part of the (larger ARPA) notion of "personal computing" (I contributed the term) as an end-user environment of endlessly extensible tools. By the way, we all still have to make all the predictions good!

Cheers to all,

Alan

-----