headless vm changes suggestions

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Mon Mar 23 19:55:22 UTC 1998

John,

> I'm not entirely clear what the benefits of true "headlessness"
> are on the Windows platform. It seems to me that one can always
> make the Squeak window quite small (to use less Display memory),
> then minimize it so it is out of the way. That way, if there are
> any errors, one can re-size the window and debug the problem.

Not if you're going to install it on any jointly used machines.
Think of a Swiki web server running as a service under NT.

> Headless-ness seems to make a bit more sense on a Unix box.
> But there, again, one could open Squeak's display as a remote
> X window on some other machine, just as a debugging console.

Yeah, this would be cool. Install a Swiki demon, telnet on a special port
and run your debugging session remote without even letting others know
that something happens right now. WHOW!

Andreas

--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+