MIDI Socket #?

Stephen Travis Pope stp at limbo.create.ucsb.edu
Sun Mar 8 20:26:48 UTC 1998

Hello all,

The MIDI part of Siren is progressing nicely. The C-level scheduler
and virtual channel map work, and I have a rudimentary patch editor
that's a gas to use with QT musical instruments. I'm also hoping
that the new primitive interface will be more portable than the first
cut--most of the code (scheduler included) is quite portable (I
believe), and there's a machine-dependent driver that has a simple
API (thanks to Tobias Kunze of Stanford).

My question today is about sending MIDI over sockets. I plan to
open a socket as one of the "standard" MIDI ports on start-up, and
I assume that someone has already built applications that pass
MIDI over sockets. Do any of you know of such work, what socket
number was used, and if there were any special aspects to the MIDI
packets that were transmitted? I think it would be great for Squeak
to be able to be a network-based MIDI synthesizer!

stp

_ Stephen Travis Pope
_ Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology (CREATE)
_ Dept. of Music, Univ. of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
_ stp at create.ucsb.edu, http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp/