Is Squeak ready for BeOS for Intel (and PPC)

Serg Koren skoren at pop5.ibm.net
Wed Mar 25 04:16:41 UTC 1998

Hi,
No not quite.  I've been tied up with work (real job), and haven't had a
lot of time to spend lately.
Currently, I've run into another memory-related issue that pretty much
forces me to go thru the logic
of the VM initialization to understand what is failing (instead of doing a
brute-force port ;-) ).  This is good and bad; good in that I'll have to
learn the Squeak internals, bad in that it'll take a lot longer than
expected.)

Also BeOS for Intel isn't quite ready for prime-time (it's still a
development release "for technogeeks only").  (Yes I do have it and am a Be
developer.)  It has no serial or floppy or Windows interfacing (just
Ethernet or external modem).  So I have no way to move the code and have it
compile under BeOS/Intel from the PPC platform--not having Ethernet or an
external modem.  But it *IS* a straight recompile! One definite advantage
of BeOS.

It would be nice to be able to get some help from the Squeak gurus on the
memory issues, but I think it would involve a fair amount of work on their
(and my parts) since I've rearchitected Squeak to be pretty much truly
object-oriented (with some of exceptions).

Basically, I'm workin on it but it's going to take a while :-(  But when
it'll be done, it'll be cool.

Serg Koren
Principal
VisualNewt Software, Makers of Newt'sPaper(tm): http://www.VisualNewt.com/