Events Systems in/and Squeak?

Ianhirl Ianhirl at aol.com
Wed May 13 21:01:42 UTC 1998

I notice in the goodies there is a submission from  Tim Jones which is an
implementation   of an event system based on Visual Smalltalk's, which he
suggests as an addition to Morphic. I infer from this that Morphic in not
currently event driven.
  Before Squeak, I had not used any ST dialect for years, but I remember the
great pain of new learning :-) when MVC aka MPD was redesigned for events in
commercial Smalltalks like Digitalk's. In view of the option in Squeak 2 of
using MVC or Morphic, is Squeak moving in the same direction? Is this a false
analogy, and if not is there much relearning involved in moving from MVC to
Morphic.
As regards events,  perhaps this has been gone into in the past, but for new
Squeak users like me, what is the Squeak philosophy regarding  events, are
they envisaged as an optional add-on to the system or at the other extreme, as
being eventually integrated into the virutal machine.

Ian Harkin