Refactoring Browser (Was: Re: [Q] Ask on String manipulation)

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at halcyon.com
Fri May 1 10:41:22 UTC 1998

At 01:13 AM 5/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Uhh, could some explain what this Refactoring Browser does?
>
>Why is it so special?
>
>I mean, I've downloaded the code but didn't get the idea.

For a quick definition of refactoring, look at:

	http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/Terms.html#refactorings

For some more in-depth information on refactoring and it's various
permutations, you might find the papers at the following URL useful:

 	ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/papers/refactoring/

Here is the synopsis from a readme file at the /papers level:

	""Refactorings are program transformations that do not change the function
	""of a program, just its structure.  They are usually applied to make a
program
	""more reusable.  We focus on refactoring OO programs.
	""refactoring:
	""opdyke-thesis.ps.Z
	""        Bill Opdyke's thesis
	""refactor-aggregation.ps
	""       A paper that describes refactorings involving aggregation.
	""refactoring-superclasses.ps
	""        A paper that describes refactorings involving inheritance.

For more information on the browser itself, look at:

	http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/

While you're there, you might look at all the other neat papers thar Ralph
Johnson and his students have written about patterns, frameworks and other
useful topics.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Robinson